"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it and see it still."
Ronald Reagan is without a doubt one of the greatest presidents this great country has ever had. The above quote is from President Reagan's farewell address to the American people on January 11, 1989. He was describing his view of America in his lifetime and his hope for the future of America. Indeed President Reagan left America in much better shape then what he inherited. However, President Reagan also knew that there was still much work to be done.
Some progress has been made but in many ways, especially in the last five years, we have taken steps backwards from the great country we once were. In fact, many of the ideas that made this country great, we have turned completely away from. Hard work has been replaced by handouts. In fact, the American government actively advertises food stamp enrollment! Responsibility and accountability seems to be a foreign word in today's media and government. While looking to decipher a recent shooting, many look to blame a gun, rather than the heart of the individual who has committed such heinous crimes. Until we look at the sole reason of these acts, which is the devaluing of human life, any other "fix" to the problem will serve as nothing more than a bandaid on a major flesh wound.
When we look at the problems facing this country, and the rapid decline of our morals and standard of American living, it may seem that all is lost. However, I urge you to not give up hope. I am reminded of the quote above from President Reagan. America is still a shining city on a hill and is still worth fighting for. There are still many great young Americans who can make a difference in this fight. All is not lost. And that is partly the reason for the existence of this blog. I intend to write about things that are important to me as a conservative American who isn't ready to waive the white flag just yet. I hope this blog will be viewed by many as I discuss the important topics of our day. And maybe, just maybe, we can make a difference and restore the shining city on a hill.
No comments:
Post a Comment